Friday, June 01, 2018

Things I didn't say


For people of a certain age 
Nostalgia hooks like crack cocaine
Somewhere between divine and profane
An antidote and poison

I'm sick of blood poured on the tracks
Of friendly warnings "don't look back"
"You'll give yourself a heart attack"
As if I'm even bothered

Health warning mantras for those who know
Ignore them and the prostate goes
There's love and cancer up the road
And a series on iPlayer

The past is littered with the past
I lost it once but lived it fast
Now we're the bus pass underclass
The pensioned shuffling strangers

Tomorrow is a better day
Specsavers see through fakes and haze
You're aches and pains will melt away
On some brave new hejira.

For people of a certain age
Nostalgia hooks like crack cocaine
The worries they just melt away
I'm better now I'm older.

No comments:

Post a Comment