Sunday, June 12, 2016

Bomb in the base

Loitering in the downstairs shower this morning I noticed this solitary bath bomb sitting on the shelf.
I know it's (almost) wrong but when Russia scored the equaliser last night against England I was off the couch and only one beer and two glasses of wine were involved. I think that it was the English fans jubilantly singing "God save the Queen" that started me up. One (pretty decent) goal up they were singing like they'd won the tournament and I hate that feckin' smug tuneless and oppressive song. Is that really what you sing when you're supporting England? Anyway you can't really beat a goal in the final minutes as a way of deflating fans, just think of Hibs and Rangers last month, a quite magical few seconds of collapse. Last night was up there with the best sickeners, a great moment to savour and a real bomb going off in the psyche of the English camp. Sour grapes from me of course, we serve them up regularly here in Scotland.

1 comment:

  1. I may not be a Scottish Nationalist, or feel myself particularly Scottish any more, after the stupidity of the referendum and what preceded and has followed it ever since, but I am with you 100% on this. I still support the Scottish football team, which involves relishing the downfall of our neighbours' over-inflated self perception!

    ReplyDelete