Thursday, February 28, 2019

Doors


A selection of slightly odd, aged, rusty, misshapen doors from my visit to Pittenweem. The ones with the bottom "barrier" pieces are interesting I suppose as these are sea front buildings, I assume that this is a basic form of flood/high tide protection. Being so close to the waterfront everything is weathered and rusty, any paint or refurbishment work will only last so long before the elements start to eat away again at the surfaces. Don't park a car out there for too long either.






When I was about fifteen I read "The doors of perception" and "Heaven and Hell" by Aldous Huxley*. I didn't really understand much of either's very short content (really just lengthy articles) but I did understand that there was a doorway of sorts within the conscious mind that, for most people remained closed for all of their life. Religions, chants, sparkly bright items and meditation might open those doors, a chink of light might get through but there always was a more direct route. That direct route does however contain numerous risks and hazards but people will go that way anyway, often without any guidance or advice as to how it might be once you cross over. In life experience remains the best but the most costly teacher. Understanding yourself and having a little grounding are good things to have achieved before you turn any strange door handles. I'm going the long way round in saying that I like doors and doorways, highly symbolic, highly significant things that also mark boundaries and provide security, oh and keep out drafts. So I enjoyed this wee set of pictures, there were so many odd doors to see and capture, so many thresholds I'll never cross, work for another day and another time. 

*I also didn't know then that the Doors (a once serious minded little rock band) took their name from the book title.

No comments:

Post a Comment