Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Bridge Too Far


Guitar bridge modifications heading in reverse: Nobody told me that the bridge set up on (probably all regardless of make) LP Juniors was a complete bugger of a thing. This bridge is non standard and promises a bit more than it delivers, however the one I was planning to replace this one with turns out to be even worse despite seemingly offering better adjustments. One more time and I'm another eBay "special" victim. I should be used to this by now.

So one size does not fit all. Outside dimensions, however similar they may be don't mean something will fit. So I had a bit of a swear fest over this. In the end I compromised with some new and old bits making up a "better" solution. I'm not sure if it is, but I'll tell myself it is. 

So to sum up; to put on new strings, set up the action and then set the intonation just involves too much faffing about and repeatedly taking things apart, detuning and putting things back together with fiddly Allan keys. It's fine once it's set up but basically it's a bad piece of design and impractical for regular use. End of lesson. 

P.S. Some guys in Memphis have invented a compensating bridge for Juniors - a clever idea but it's over $100 plus postage so I'll get by just fine without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment