Monday, June 24, 2024

KY 2016


As my family roots are in the East of Fife I'm always interested in looking into the history of Scottish steam drifters from the early part of the last century. Many of my old relatives were involved in fishing, boat building, engineering and fish processing within the East Neuk and sometimes beyond. So this snippet about KY* 2016 "Sovereign" skippered by John Barclay in 1874 was good to find. Also of note is that the Receiver of Wrecks is a Mr Keay. Both of those names are pretty significant in my family history (obviously) so I presume that as they are from what were then very small communities; Cellardyke and Anstruther (or thereabouts) they must be relatives of mine. In my family timeline 1874 would mean that they were "great" relations (grand fathers, uncles etc.)

*KY means registered in Kirkcaldy, all the boats had registered numbers as well as names.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's what I call a good historical find John! Anne did one side of my family tree once. Let's just say I won't be appearing on "Who Do You Think You Are?" anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete