Wednesday, January 11, 2023

No Peter Gabriel

 


I'm no Peter Gabriel but I did climb up on Solsbury Hill once, a long time ago, with my kids. I've been listening to him talking about his new album i/o and the song Panopticom. It's all tied to full moons, stars and art, not quite sure why. He seems calm enough but also intends to try to save us all by doing vague things and by saving nature. No one (except rampant idiots) would argue it's not a good enough idea. However I doubt that this new material and tour will change much in the wider world. His loyal fans will turn up, worship and boogie and move on back to their suburban sprawls or over valued flats to listen in peace and warmth.  Just a reminder that it's 2023. 

The song "Panopticom" is a reasonable 5 minutes of well intentioned if slightly oblique messages. Singing the title as a main lyric in a Peter Gabriel style is quite endearing and that is the hallmark of the repetative composition but to be honest I've only listened to it one and a half times. It might be a grower.

Strangely (?) we're in the process of recording a new album, new songs and new styles. We were doing the bass parts this week along with fills and edits. I couldn't help compare it with the PG opus, with his confidence, budget, the density of his sound and the width of his moon based vision. In a moment of wild delusion I decided that at least one if not more of our songs were better than Panopticom. I know that translates as a form of madness but this week I'm really pleased and proud of our new stuff. I don't feel so big of an impostor. I hope this dangerous feeling stays, you just can never tell. So good luck with the project Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment