Saturday, August 03, 2024

Gentleman Ben

I'm not sure if he was killed off or cancelled or just rebranded because of some (obvious to everyone else) global branding issue. I don't keep up with these things, the world moves in mysterious ways but clearly the steadfast Uncle Ben has been deleted in both name and image. For the detached and discombobulated consumer like me it's kind of sad as I thought he was OK and that he knew his rice etc. all in a purely fictitious way. I feel I'm treading on thin and sparkly razor sharp ice here. 

What other advertising icons that we once knew, loved and misunderstood have met with a similar fate? The Milky Bar Kid, has he hung up his chocolate guns? Maybe the Michelin Man's gone flat too, and no I don't believe Britain should return to the values of the 1950s, hanging should come back, kids should learn tedious hymns in school or that at some golden point in time the British state was ever a just, honest and fairly run regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment